Re: Compute attr_needed for child relations (was Re: inherit support for foreign tables) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: Compute attr_needed for child relations (was Re: inherit support for foreign tables)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(2014/08/27 3:27), Tom Lane wrote:
> Etsuro Fujita <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>> [ attr_needed-v4.patch ]
>
> I looked this over, and TBH I'm rather disappointed.  The patch adds
> 150 lines of dubiously-correct code in order to save ... uh, well,

Just for my study, could you tell me why you think that the code is
"dubiously-correct"?

> Considering that all the
> places that are doing this then proceed to use pull_varattnos to add on
> attnos from the restriction clauses, it seems like using pull_varattnos
> on the reltargetlist isn't such a bad thing after all.

I agree with you on that point.

> So I'm inclined to reject this.  It seemed like a good idea in the
> abstract, but the concrete result isn't very attractive, and doesn't
> seem like an improvement over what we have.

Okay.  I'll withdraw the patch.

Thank you for taking the time to review the patch!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita