Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 08/20/2014 06:14 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Notwithstanding the above results, my workmate Matt made an interesting
> observation: the scaling graph for (our) 60 core box (HT off), looks
> just like the one for our 32 core box with HT *on*.

Hmm. I know this sounds stupid and unlikely, but has anyone actually
tested PostgreSQL on a system with more than 64 legitimate cores? The
work Robert Haas did to fix the CPU locking way back when showed
significant improvements up to 64, but so far as I know, nobody really
tested beyond that.

I seem to remember similar choking effects when pre-9.2 systems
encountered high CPU counts. I somehow doubt Intel would allow their HT
architecture to regress so badly from Nehalem, which is almost
3-generations old at this point. This smells like something in the
software stack, up to and including the Linux kernel.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse, LLC | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604