external table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John R. Sowden
Subject external table
Date
List pgsql-novice
I am currently writing my own database apps in foxpro/dos (since 1980).
  pg seems to be a good way to move on, but I see a couple of problems.

All of the application programs seem to be c based.  Learning c for
business apps is a problem.

Currently I use a lookup database for many kinds of applications that I
create for my company.  It seems that the sql database arrangement is to
have 1 database with multiple related tables inside.  I do not want to
have to keep current multiple look-up tables (cities, counties, police
depts, their phone numbers, etc.) in separate databases.  Can I use, say
a database with billing tables (transacions, etc.) and refer to an
external lookup table?  I might store a "G" in the city field, which
would refer to "San Francisco", etc.

tia,
John