Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 06/19/2014 11:59 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Actually, I thought the JDBC crew would be the most likely source of
> push-back on such a proposal :-(.  It's been common practice in that
> community to tell the JDBC driver to use v2 protocol if you were having
> performance problems with prepared statements.  I'm not sure if those
> issues have been solved to the point where that workaround is no longer
> necessary.

The work you committed in 9.2 (?) to re-plan generic paths appears to
have resolved the vast majority of that problem. Certainly to the point
where it's no longer worth retaining a whole new protocol just for the
purpose.

At least, that's my opinion on the matter - Dave's the one doing the
vast majority of the work on the driver, so it's his opinion that'll
really count, but I'll be surprised if he isn't pleased by anything that
shrinks and simplifies the driver. I've CC'd him.

Dave, this (small) thread begins here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/53A2507F.808@2ndquadrant.com