Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/18/2014 11:03 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Well, all those actually do write to the xlog (to write a new
> checkpoint, containing the updated control file). Since pg_resetxlog has
> done all this pretty much since forever renaming it now seems to be a
> big hassle for users for pretty much no benefit? This isn't a tool the
> average user should ever touch.

If we're using it to create a unique system ID which can be used to
orchestrate replication and clustering systems, a lot more people are
going to be touching it than ever did before -- and not just for BDR.

Or are you saying that we have to destroy the data by resetting the xlog
before we can change the system identifier?  If so, this feature is less
than completely useful ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.