Re: pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file , ERROR: missing data for column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ziggy Skalski
Subject Re: pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file , ERROR: missing data for column
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2014-06-17, 8:08 AM, Khangelani Gama wrote:

I keep getting the following error when trying to restore a database on Postgres 9.2.4.

I used pg_dump –Fc with no owner from one server (8.4.2).  It’s working fine for other similar databases.

Hi there,

Did you do the pg_dump using 9.2 binaries or the 8.4 binaries?  It's recommended that you always use the newer binaries for dumping.  Also, have tried to do a pg_upgrade instead of the dump/restore?

No I was using 8.4 binaries…Thanks, I will try that now.  we will be upgrading the 8.4 server after converting the service into another operating System .

Sorry I am not knowledgeable about this , I copied the binary file onto the server where postgres 8.4 is running, untarred it (file is postgresql-9.2.4.tar.gz). But I can’t find the pg_dump script path. It looks like I have to configure it and do the gmake n gmake install. But how do I do that without affecting the current running postgres version 8.4.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential
information of Argility (Proprietary) Limited and/or its subsidiaries. Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone
other than the intended addressee is prohibited.If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately
and destroy the e-mail. Argility (Proprietary) Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability
for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.

Hi,

This part of the documentation describes how to apply appropriate switches to your configure to place the 9.2 install into alternate location:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/install-procedure.html