Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/02/2014 01:16 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-04-02 21:08:47 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
>> Normally I'm not for adding gucs that just gate new features. But I think a
>> simple guc to turn this on or off would be fine and alleviate any concerns.
>> I think users would appreciate it quite a lot
>
> I don't have strong feelings about the feature, but introducing a guc
> for it feels entirely ridiculous to me. This is a minor detail in an
> error message, not more.
>
>> It would even have a positive effect of helping raise awareness of the
>> feature. I often scan the list of config options to get an idea of new
>> features when I'm installing new software or upgrading.
>
> Really? Should we now add GUCs for every feature then?

-1 for having a GUC for this.

+1 on the feature.

Review with functional test coming up.

Question: How should we handle the issues with East Asian languages
(i.e. Japanese, Chinese) and this Hint?  Should we just avoid hinting
for a selected list of languages which don't work well with levenshtein?If so, how do we get that list?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.