Is v7.1 stable enough? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Ploski
Subject Is v7.1 stable enough?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Not so long ago the feasibility of using PostgreSQL for archiving mail
and news articles was discussed (briefly). I am planning to put the
database to work for just that purpose on a web-based e-mail site
(switching from MySQL whose table locking on INSERT becomes a performance
bottleneck). To work around the 8 KB page limit, I would have to use
the 7.1 beta version, though, or store messages in files and reference
those files from the database. The latter solution does not really appeal
to me, as it makes ensuring referential integrity a pain. My question is:
how stable is the current 7.1 code? Can it be used in a production environment
or is it meant for internal bug squashing only? Am I asking for problems?

Thanks for your advice -
JPL