Re: Sigh, we need an initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Sigh, we need an initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/04/2014 03:50 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I just noticed that we had not one, but two commits in 9.4 that added
>> fields to pg_control.  And neither one changed PG_CONTROL_VERSION.
>> This is inexcusable sloppiness on the part of the committers involved,
>> but the question is what do we do now?
> I think it would be an awfully good idea to think about what we could
> put into the buildfarm, the git repository, or the source tree to get
> some automatic notification when somebody screws up this way (or the
> xlog header magic, or catversion).  The first of those two screw-ups
> (by me) was 11 months ago today; it's pretty scary that we're only
> just now noticing.

I agree it's scary but in a few minutes thinking about it I haven't been
able to come up with a good way of checking it. Maybe we could build
sizeof(ControlData) into the version number, so instead of 937 we'd have
937nnnnn. Then we could check the nnnnn against what we know we is the
size. I realize this isn't perfect, but might be better than nothing.

cheers

andrew