Re: Convert an XML database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Convert an XML database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/20/2014 9:16 PM, Aram Fingal wrote:
> I want to set up a new PostgreSQL database from an XML database file.  It seems like there should be an obvious way
todo this but I can't seem to find any directions anywhere.  How is this sort of thing normally done?
you'd need some sort of tool that could parse the XSD schema definition
and generate SQL create table commands, then read the XML data and
insert it into the database.

a generic ETL (extract, transform, load) tool that supports XML and
postgresql should be able to do it, but its not something built into
postgresql as-is.    I can't recommend any specific ETL tool to do this
as I've never needed to do this exactly.

there's some ETL tools listed here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extract,_transform,_load