Re: Worse perfomance on 8.2.0 than on 7.4.14 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rolf Østvik
Subject Re: Worse perfomance on 8.2.0 than on 7.4.14
Date
List pgsql-performance
--- Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> skrev:

> On 31-Dec-06, at 6:33 AM, Rolf Østvik wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >
> > I have a simple query which uses 32ms on 7.4.14
> and 1015ms on 8.2.0.
> > I guess 7.4.14 creates a better execution plan
> than 8.2.0 for this
> > query but
> > i don't know how to get it to select a better one.
> > Explain analyse output will be found near the end
> of the e-mail.
> >
> > (I have simplified my real query to get it as
> simple as possible.
> > The original query
> > contain 6 tables and was acceptable on 7.4.2, but
> took far too long
> > on 8.1.4)
> >
> > I have made a test setup to compare 7.4.14, 8.1.4
> and 8.2.0.
> > 8.1.4 and 8.2.0 uses the same execution plan and
> same time to execute.
> >
> > postgresql.conf values i changed is
> > 7.4.14
> >     Raised shared_buffers from 32MB to 128MB
> >     Raised temp_buffers from 8MB to 32MB
> > 8.2.0
> >     Raised shared_buffers from 32MB to 128MB
> >     Raised temp_buffers from 8MB to 32MB
> >     Raised work_mem from 1MB to 8MB
> >
> set effective_cache to 3G
> shared buffers should be 1G on this computer for 8.2

Thanks for the input. Did not have a big influence on
my specific problem but comments as this is very
valuable in the total setup of my server.

Best regards
Rolf Østvik

Bruker du Yahoo!?
Lei av spam?  Yahoo! Mail har den beste spambeskyttelsen
http://no.mail.yahoo.com