Re: BUG #10142: Downstream standby indefinitely waits for an old WAL log in new timeline on WAL Cascading replicatio - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #10142: Downstream standby indefinitely waits for an old WAL log in new timeline on WAL Cascading replicatio
Date
List pgsql-bugs
(cc'ing pgsql-bugs, please keep the mailing list cc'd so that others can
join in the discussion)

On 04/29/2014 05:50 PM, Sean Keefe wrote:
> Also it seems that you were setting up streaming based replication not file
> based replication that we were using. I wanted to point this out.

Ah, you mentioned "cascading replication" in the subject, and I assumed
that you meant the built-in streaming cascading replication feature. But
from the scripts, I see that you're using pg_standby, and rsync for the
cascade.

pg_standby is not the recommended way to set up replication anymore.
Since version 9.0, there is a built-in standby feature that can be used
in file-based mode too. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/warm-standby.html#STANDBY-SERVER-SETUP.
I don't know if pg_standby can be made to work across timeline switches.

- Heikki