Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/4/2014 3:57 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:
> Judicious archiving allows us to keep our total OS+data storage
> requirements under 100GB. Usually. So we should be able to easily stay
> in the $500/drive price range (200GB S3700) and still have plenty of
> headroom for wear-leveling.
>
> One option I'm considering is no RAID at all but spend the savings
> from the controllers and extra drives toward an additional standby
> server.

This very similar to our workload. We use a single 200G or 300G Intel
SSD per machine, directly attached to the motherboard SATA controller.
No RAID controller.

We run 7 servers at present in this configuration in a single cluster.
Roughly 120W per box peak (8-core, 64G RAM).