Re: Upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 causes performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 causes performance degradation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/23/2014 04:58 PM, Álvaro Nunes Lemos Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I've been trough a datacenter migration, and in this operation I'd also upgraded my PostgreSQL version from
9.2to 9.3. My new hardware is slightly better than the old one, but the PostgreSQL performance has shown degradation in
thewhole system.

> Trying to figure out what could be happening, I'd installed instances of both versions on both servers, and double
checkedall the configuration parameters on them. The 9.2 version results make sense, there's a minor upgrade in the
performanceon the new server, but 9.3 number are worst than 9.2 on both servers, and surprisingly, worst in the newest
thanin the old one. After some research, I tried to disable transparent hugepages on the new one, but it made no
effect.I used and specific query to benchmark, but as I said before, the whole system is slower.

> Below is my data, and I really hope we can find what is happening, or I'll have to downgrade to 9.2 and wait for 9.4
release.

> Old Server:
> Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
> 2.6.32-45-generic
>
> New Server:
> Debian GNU/Linux 7.3 (wheezy)
> 3.2.0-4-amd64
>
> Query Execution Times (average time of three executions, in seconds)
>
> +--------+-------+-------+
> | Server |  9.2  |  9.3  |
> +--------+-------+-------+
> | Old    |   129 |   216 |
> +--------+-------+-------+
> | New    |   118 |   275 |

Have no answer, just some observations. Without the actual query content
and EXPLAIN, EXPLAIN ANALYZE on said query for each server there is not
really a path to an answer. In addition the minor version of each
Postgres instance could prove useful.

Also some more information on the hardware specifications for each
server would help. For instance harddrive, memory numbers.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com