Re: pg_basebackup --slot=SLOTNAME -X stream - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: pg_basebackup --slot=SLOTNAME -X stream
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/18/2014 03:25 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there the explicit reason why --slot option that pg_receivexlog
> already has has not been added into pg_basebackup? If not,
> I'd like to support that option to eliminate the need to increase
> wal_keep_segments for pg_basebackup. Thought?

That seems rather cumbersome. pg_basebackup is a run once, and then it
dies. The slot would have to be created before running pg_basebackup,
and destroyed manually.

It would make sense to provide a new option that would tell the server
to recycle segments until they've been sent to this client, or until the
client disconnects. But that would look quite different from
pg_receivexlog's --slot option.

- Heikki