Re: Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-general
"Fetter, David M" <Fetter.David@emeryworld.com> writes:
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I started to look at the
> db.out file and I noticed the pg_shadow variables.  When I looked at the
> newly built postgres 7.0.2 the usesysid for postgres was the same as the
> usesysid for sys_request, one of the new accounts I was moving over.

Ah, that explains that.  Another corner case that pg_dumpall doesn't
handle :-(.

I think we are planning to eliminate usesysids entirely soon, since they
don't seem to have any real function other than creating the risk of
this sort of problem...

> Oh, but one other question to the group...has anyone experienced any issues
> when importing a database out of and older version and into a newer version?

We try to minimize cross-version portability problems, but there are
always a few.  The release notes for 7.0 should give you more info.

            regards, tom lane