Re: Unfortunate choice of short switch name in pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KONDO Mitsumasa
Subject Re: Unfortunate choice of short switch name in pgbench
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(2014/02/28 2:39), Tom Lane wrote:
> Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
>>> Yeah, but they don't make -P take an integer argument.  It's that
>>> little frammish that makes this problem significant.
>
>> I do not see a strong case to make options with arguments case insensitive
>> as a general rule. If this is done for -p/-P, why not -t/-T?
I'll say the same thing. And if we remove -P short option in pgbench, it means
that -P with integer will be forbided in postgres command. Surely, we don't hope so.

>> If you really fell you must remove -P, please replace it by another
>> one-letter, I use this option nearly everytime a run pgbench.
>
> Meh.  If I thought -P would be that popular, I'd expect people to get
> used to the issue.  I don't believe it though.
At least, a user which is interested in postgres performance tuning(include
kernel options, etc) will often use this option. I recommended this feature,
because we can see the bottle-neck which we have not seen:) I believe you will
also become to like it more and more, while you use it.

Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center