Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/13/2014 12:39 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2014-02-12 11:26:56 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Hm.  So if we're giving up on the idea of ever getting rid of PGDLLIMPORT,
>>> we ought to actually remove that, so that the Cygwin build works more like
>>> the other Windows builds?
>
>> Hm, I don't see a big advantage in detecting the errors as It won't
>> hugely increase the buildfarm coverage. But --auto-import seems to
>> require marking the .text sections as writable, avoiding that seems to
>> be a good idea if we don't need it anymore.
>
> Given the rather small number of Windows machines in the buildfarm,
> I'd really like them all to be on the same page about what's valid
> and what isn't.  Having to wait ~24 hours to find out if they're
> all happy with something isn't my idea of a good time.  In any case,
> as long as we have discrepancies between them, I'm not going to be
> entirely convinced that any of them are telling the full truth.
>
> I'm going to go remove that switch and see if brolga starts failing.
> If it does, I'll be satisfied that we understand the issues here.

I wouldn't assume that _anything_ Cygwin does makes sense, or is
consistent with anything else.

Its attempts to produce UNIX-like behaviour on Windows cause some truly
bizarre behaviour at times.

It is not totally unfair to compare the level of weirdness of Cygwin to
that of WINE, though they operate in completely different ways. I
wouldn't suggest making any conclusions about the _other_ platforms
based on Cygwin.