Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Tiikkaja
Subject Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/15/14 2:00 PM, Florian Pflug wrote:
> On Jan15, 2014, at 13:32 , Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
>> On 1/15/14 1:23 PM, Florian Pflug wrote:
>>> The fact that it's named plpgsql.warnings already clearly documents that this only affects plpgsql. But whether a
particularwarning is emitted during compilation or during execution it largely irrelevant, I think. For example, if we
calledthis compiler_warning, we'd couldn't add a warning which triggers when SELECT .. INTO ingores excessive rows.

>> There is the fact that something being a "compiler warning" gives you an idea on its effects on performance.  But
maybethat would be better described in the documentation (perhaps even more accurately).

>> I like the idea of warning about SELECT .. INTO, though, but that one could have a non-negligible performance
penaltyduring execution.

> I'm not overly concerned about that. I image people would usually enable warnings during development, not
production.

Yeah, me neither, it's just something that needs to be communicated very
clearly.  So probably just a list  plpgsql.warnings  would be the most
appropriate then.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja