Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance  (James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/13/14, 2:27 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
>> On 1/13/14, 2:19 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:

>>> There you have a much harder algorithmic problem.
>>>
>>> You can basically control duplication with fadvise and WONTNEED. The
>>> problem here is not the kernel and whether or not it allows postgres
>>> to be smart about it. The problem is... what kind of smarts
>>> (algorithm) to use.
>>

>> Isn't this a fairly simple matter of when we read a page into shared buffers
>> tell the kernel do forget that page? And a corollary to that for when we
>> dump a page out of shared_buffers (here kernel, please put this back into
>> your cache).
>

> That's my point. In terms of kernel-postgres interaction, it's fairly simple.
>
> What's not so simple, is figuring out what policy to use. Remember,
> you cannot tell the kernel to put some page in its page cache without
> reading it or writing it. So, once you make the kernel forget a page,
> evicting it from shared buffers becomes quite expensive.

Well, if we were to collaborate with the kernel community on this then presumably we can do better than that for
eviction...even to the extent of "here's some data from this range in this file. It's (clean|dirty). Put it in your
cache.Just trust me on this."

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net