slow query - will CLUSTER help? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

Hello,

I've got a very simple table with a very simple SELECT query, but it takes longer on the initial run than I'd like, so I want to see if there is a strategy to optimize this.

Table rt_h_nbbo contains several hundred million rows.  All rows for a given entry_date are appended to this table in an overnight process every night - on the order of several million rows per day.

The objective is to select all of the rows for a given product_id on a given entry_date.

There is a b-tree index on (product_id, entry_date). The index appears to be used correctly.  I'm seeing that if the data pages are not in memory, nearly all of the time is spent on disk I/O.  The first time, the query takes 21 sec.  If I run this query a second time, it completes in approx 1-2 ms.

I perceive an inefficiency here and I'd like your input as to how to deal with it: The end result of the query is 1631 rows which is on the order of about a couple hundred Kb of data.  Compare that to the amount of I/O that was done: 1634 buffers were loaded, 16Mb per page - that's about 24 Gb of data!  Query completed in 21 sec.  I'd like to be able to physically re-organize the data on disk so that the data for a given product_id on a entry_date is concentrated on a few pages instead of being scattered like I see here.

First question is: Does loading 24Gb of data in 21 sec seem "about right" (hardware specs at bottom of email)?

Second question: Is it possible to tell postgres to physically store the data in such a way that it parallels an index?  I recall you can do this in Sybase with a CLUSTERED index.  The answer for Postgresql seems to be "yes, use the CLUSTER command".  But this command does a one-time clustering and requires periodic re-clustering.  Is this the best approach?  Are there considerations with respect to the type of index (B-tree, GIST, SP-GIST) being used for CLUSTER ?

Thanks

-Sev

Table (this is a fairly large table - hundreds of millions of rows):

CREATE TABLE rt_h_nbbo
(
  product_id integer NOT NULL,
  bid_price double precision NOT NULL DEFAULT 0.0,
  bid_size integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  ask_price double precision NOT NULL DEFAULT 0.0,
  ask_size integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  last_price double precision NOT NULL DEFAULT 0.0,
  entry_date date NOT NULL,
  entry_time time without time zone NOT NULL,
  event_time time without time zone NOT NULL,
  day_volume bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  day_trade_ct integer,
  entry_id bigint NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT rt_h_nbbo_pkey PRIMARY KEY (entry_id),
  CONSTRAINT rt_h_nbbo_pfkey FOREIGN KEY (product_id)
      REFERENCES product (product_id) MATCH SIMPLE
      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
)
WITH (
  OIDS=FALSE
);
ALTER TABLE rt_h_nbbo
  OWNER TO postgres;

CREATE INDEX rt_h_nbbo_idx
  ON rt_h_nbbo
  USING btree
  (product_id, entry_date DESC);

Test:

SET track_io_timing = on;
EXPLAIN (ANALYZE,BUFFERS,VERBOSE,COSTS,TIMING) select * from rt_h_nbbo where product_id=6508 and entry_date='2013-11-26';

Output:

"Index Scan using rt_h_nbbo_idx on public.rt_h_nbbo  (cost=0.00..12768.21 rows=3165 width=76) (actual time=12.549..21654.547 rows=1631 loops=1)"
"  Output: product_id, bid_price, bid_size, ask_price, ask_size, last_price, entry_date, entry_time, event_time, day_volume, day_trade_ct, entry_id"
"  Index Cond: ((rt_h_nbbo.product_id = 6508) AND (rt_h_nbbo.entry_date = '2013-11-26'::date))"
"  Buffers: shared hit=4 read=1634"
"  I/O Timings: read=21645.468"
"Total runtime: 21655.002 ms"

Hardware

Top of the line HP DL380 G7 server with 32 Gb Ram,  P410i RAID, 10K SAS drives in Raid-1 config.  Wal on separate Raid-1 volume with 15K SAS drives.
The only unusual thing here is that I'm running on Windows Server 2008 R2.