Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 26/11/13 09:01, Lee Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having attended a few PGCons, I've always heard the remark from a few
> presenters and attendees that Postgres shouldn't be run inside a VM.
> That bare metal is the only way to go.
>
> Here at work we were entertaining the idea of running our Postgres
> database on our VM farm alongside our application vm's.  We are
> planning to run a few Postgres synchronous replication nodes.
>
> Why shouldn't we run Postgres in a VM?  What are the downsides? Does
> anyone have any metrics or benchmarks with the latest Postgres?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lee Nguyen
I suspect that it is a performance and reliability issue that affects
any ACID database.

AFAIK, in a VM there is less certainty as to when a disk I/O is actually
complete and safely on the disk.

I think vm's are probably fine for testing, but not for production.

Cheers,
Gavin