Re: Can we trust fsync? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Can we trust fsync?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/20/2013 03:45 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I'm really concerned by this post on Linux's fsync and disk flush behaviour:
>
> http://milek.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/linux-osync-and-write-barriers.html
>
> and seeking opinions from folks here who've been deeply involved in
> write reliability work.
>
> The amount of change in write reliablity behaviour in Linux across
> kernel versions, file systems and storage abstraction layers is worrying
> - different results for LVM vs !LVM, md vs !md, ext3 vs other, etc.
>
> If this isn't something that's already been seen and dealt with then
> I'll see if I can take a look into it once the RLS work is dealt with.

I thought Greg did some testing on this a while back and determined
which versions were safe... (/me looks for post)

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc