Re: PG rules! (RULES being the word ;->) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG rules! (RULES being the word ;->)
Date
List pgsql-general
"Dr. Evil" <drevil@sidereal.kz> writes:
>> im just thinking about the same problem at this time and i am
>> convinced by others to put the business logic in the middleware and
>> just use SQL to store simple tables.

> I am familiar with that argument.  It's a good point in some
> instances, but it isn't gospel by any means.

I think it's reasonable to expect the database to support standard
SQL mechanisms like constraints.  There are some things like MySQL
that don't, but they're not really databases IMHO :-).

Obviously, if you care about vendor independence, you'll need to stay
away from nonstandard stuff like plpgsql functions.  But that shouldn't
convince you to lobotomize your use of standard SQL features.

            regards, tom lane