Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Replace duplicate_oids with Perl implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Replace duplicate_oids with Perl implementation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> What exactly is your argument, here?
> If we change unused_oids to a Perl implementation, we will add
> additional inconvenience to users who don't have /usr/bin/perl in that
> exact location.  Versus allowing use by users who don't have /bin/sh.  I
> don't know what the ratio between those two camps is, among potential
> users of unused_oids.

According to my count we currently have 30 instances of scripts with
this shebang line. That includes things not called from makefiles, such
as pgindent.

I don't recall this causing an issue.

For any small group of people that might exists who don't have
/usr/bin/perl, they have a simple workaround to call "perl unused_oids".

Can we please get on with dealing with real problems? I don't believe
this is one.

cheers

andrew