Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07-11-2013 09:42, Dilip kumar wrote:

Dilip, this is on my TODO for 9.4. I've already had a half-backed patch
for it. Let's see what I can come up with.

> Is it required to move the common code for parallel operation of pg_dump and vacuumdb to one place and reuse it ?

I'm not sure about that because the pg_dump parallel code is tight to
TOC entry. Also, dependency matters for pg_dump while in the scripts
case, an order to be choosen will be used. However, vacuumdb can share
the parallel code with clusterdb and reindexdb (my patch does it).

Of course, a refactor to unify parallel code (pg_dump and scripts) can
be done in a separate patch.

> Prototype patch is attached in the mail, please provide your feedback/Suggestions...

I'll try to merge your patch with the one I have here until the next CF.

--   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento