Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
Re: Changing pg_dump default file format  (Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/07/2013 10:00 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 11/07/2013 08:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm a bit worried about it breaking peoples scripts as well, if they
>>> pipe the output.
>>
>> Whether they pipe the output or not, this will break people's scripts.
>> I agree it's a legacy behavior that we wouldn't choose again, but you
>> could say that about an awful lot of things including much of the SQL
>> standard.  I think it's too late to consider this now.
>
> I don't agree that it's too late, personally.  However, I do agree that
> it would be problematic to change the default format since the default
> is to send to STDOUT.  If we wanted to change the default format, we
> would need to make "filename" a required parameter.
>
> If we wanted to change the defaults, I think it would be easier to
> create a separate bin name (e.g. pg_backup) than to change the existing
> parameters for pg_dump.

I am not opposed to that. Allow pg_dump to be what it is, and create a
pg_backup?

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579