Re: Backup and restore postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Backup and restore postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 11/05/2013 04:17 AM, Bayan M. Almuqhim wrote:
Dear all,

I have 8.4 postgreSQL on Ubuntu 11.10 and I would like to upgrade my server to Ubuntu 12.04 and use 9.1 postgreSQL.
I have Slony-| replication cluster in my database, also there is a table with many partitions.

Question one: did you use the *new* version of pg_dump and psql or the old one? You should always do your dump and restore using the client tools from the new version, i.e. use the 9.1 pg_dump to dump the 8.4 database.

As long as you are going through the effort of upgrading why not go straight to 9.3 and get all the newer features, fixes and improvements along with two more years of support before EOL?

Cheers,
Steve