Re: PostgreSQL Timeline - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Timeline
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 11/10/2013 19:33, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>> About Postgres Forest, I never heard of this project before and I
>> struglled to find information about it.
>
> Mostly because it's dead now, and was always Japanese.  It was a
> predecessor to things like ExtenDB and Continuent.
>
> However, I put it on my list of forks because I was under the impression
> that PostgresForest actually involved forking the backend code of
> PostgreSQL.  Tatsuo is saying that it didn't, and he would know better
> than me.
>
> On that basis, I personally wouldn't include Forest or pgPool in the
> list of forks, because they are tools which go on top of mainstream
> PostgreSQL, and if we start listing tools there's no finishing it.

ok it makes sense.

I've updated the timeline :
https://raw.github.com/daamien/artwork/master/inkscape/PostgreSQL_timeline/timeline_postgresql.png

But I can't log to the wiki page right now to update it.

> I'm unclear on what the difference between "Business Intelligence" and
> "Big Data" forks is.

A degree of magnitude I guess. In mind the software in the BI section
can handle several terabytes while the ones in the Big Data section can
handle several hundreds of terabytes. But I must admit it's a loose
definition :-)  I wanted to make a difference between stuff like Yahoo
everest and the "more classic" MPP implementations.

But of course I can merge everything in a single "Big Data / BI" section
and avoid a useless flame war :)

With all the latest changes, the whole design needs to be refreshed anyway.