Re: Caching in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Levy
Subject Re: Caching in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
I am using memcached (http://www.danga.com/memcached/) to cache Postgres ADODB recordsets.
It's very efficient but has to be implemented in your own application.

On 1/16/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
ramachandra.bhaskaram@wipro.com wrote:
>       We were looking on how to improve the performance of our
> application which is using PostgreSQL as backend.    If postgreSQL is
> supporting data page caching in the shared memory then we wanted to
> design our application to read/write using the shared memory rather than
> accessing the DB everytime so that, it will improve the performance of
> our system.

That's a bad idea. Just design your database schema with performance in
mind, and use PostgreSQL normally with SQL queries. If you must, use a
general-purpose caching library in your application, instead of trying
to peek into PostgreSQL internals.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com