Re: recovery from incomplete backup (pgsql 8.3) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: recovery from incomplete backup (pgsql 8.3)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/28/2013 11:31 AM, Henrik wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am trying to recover data from postgesql 8.3 incomplete backup. I have
> contents of data/base/ (fs snapshot), but there some tablespaces
> (indexes, some tables) were in other locations.
>
> On new server (clean install) I created database, replaced base folder,
> renamed database folder to match new database's created name. Postgresql
> starts successfully, but it does not see tables in database, there are
> no related entries in logs.
>
> How could I recover data from available backup?

I would think to have any hope you would need the entire PGDATA
directory from the old installation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/storage-file-layout.html

Otherwise you are working with a mix of old and new information, in
particular old information in base and new information in global.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com