Re: autovacuum and dead tuples - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: autovacuum and dead tuples
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 09/18/2013 10:42 AM, fburgess@radiantblue.com wrote:

> My colleague is under the impression that dead tuples are only cleaned up via vacuum
> full only, while I suggested that the autovaccum process was cleaning up
> these dead tuples. Is this true?

You are correct. Only VACUUM FULL (or CLUSTER) physically removes dead
tuples from the table, but a regular VACUUM enters them into the free
space map for reuse, so they wouldn't show up in the dead_tuple_count
column in pgstattuple. It's possible your colleague was confused by the
physical removal versus reassignment.

Keep in mind that the dead tuples are still in the table, but reusable.
The free_space column and free_percent is a better description of table
bloat from data turnover cleaned up by autovacuum.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870