Hot standby & SR - log shipping required? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Hot standby & SR - log shipping required?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all,

I'm tackling host standby & streaming replication for the first time, in
a small set-up with just two computers (one master, one standby) and an
extremely light load (at its busiest, one transaction every couple of
minutes). Both systems are running PG 9.1 on Debian Wheezy from
apt.postgresql.org.

I've been reading the documentation and the articles on the wiki, and
I'm confused on one point - the official docs [1] and one of the wiki
articles [2] seem to indicate that you need to set up log-shipping as
well as SR, whereas one of the wiki articles [2] indicates that
log-shipping isn't required. I've followed [3] and it seems to work fine
in initial trials; but I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if I
misunderstood [1] + [2] in the first place.

Clarification would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ray.

[1]