Re: Snapshot synchronization, again... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Snapshot synchronization, again...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> Dumb question: Is this something that could be solved by having the postmaster track this information in it's local
memoryand make it available via a variable-sized IPC mechanism, such as a port or socket? That would eliminate the need
toclean things up after a crash; I'm not sure if there would be other benefits.

Involving the postmaster in this is entirely *not* reasonable.  The
postmaster cannot do anything IPC-wise that the stats collector couldn't
do, and every additional function we load onto the postmaster is another
potential source of unrecoverable database-wide failures.  The PM is
reliable only because it doesn't do much.