Re: 7.4RC2 regression failur and not running stats collector process on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4RC2 regression failur and not running stats collector process on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kiyoshi Sawada <sawa@nagoya2.jrc.or.jp> writes:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:18:48 -0500  Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So why not?  Try looking in the postmaster log for errors related to
>> stats collector startup.  (pstat is irrelevant, btw.)

> LOG:  could not bind socket for statistics collector: Cannot assign requested address

Hmm ... that's sure the problem, but what can we do about it?  ISTM that
any non-broken system ought to be able to resolve "localhost".  Actually
it's worse than that: your system resolved "localhost" and then refused
to bind to any of the IP addresses it had resolved.  Look at the logic
in pgstat_init() in src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c.  I think this
suggests a misconfiguration in your system ... but if you can suggest a
more robust way of setting up that connection, I'm all ears ...