Re: File-per-GUC WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: File-per-GUC WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/05/2013 11:02 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> I'll also point out that some of our settings only really "work" in
>> combinations of two or more settings.  For example, one doesn't want to
>> set archive_mode = on unless one is setting archive_command as well.
>
> And one doesn't want to set archive_command w/o doing some kind of setup
> work on the server in question, perhaps setting up SSH keys or putting a
> decent shell script in place to be called from archive_command.  That's
> part of my issue w/ this- the parameters which can't be set up correctly
> through sole use of "ALTER SYSTEM" should be excluded from it and
> instead set up through a config file.

I'm really trying to make progress on this discussion by separating it
into the distinct, orthagonal, arguments which need to be resolved
individually.  You are NOT helping by then intermixing the threads.  We
are already discussing that on "unsafe GUCs", please keep it there.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.