Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com>)
Responses Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri,

> We rehash because the situation did change *a lot*. We just decided that
> the ALTER SYSTEM SET setup will live in PGDATA and will not have to be
> edited by DBA nor sysadmin nor tools ever. We will have a separate
> facility (conf.d) for that. As a result, I don't think there's any
> issues left with one-setting-per-file now.

Let's please NOT call it conf.d if it's living in PGDATA and is not
meant to be edited by hand.  conf.d is for a directory of config files
created by users and external utilities, living in CONFIGDIR.

If we're going to have a directory of individual file settings in
PGDATA, let's be consistent with the existing command and call it
"system_set".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.