Re: Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 in place, same machine - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chris Ernst
Subject Re: Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 in place, same machine
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 07/10/2013 11:53 AM, Wells Oliver wrote:
> I'd like to move the 9.1 database to 9.2 without any down time, and
> ensuring that no data is lost.
>
> My original idea was to make 9.2 a slave of 9.1, then switch it over.

You can't do this with streaming replication.  But you can with slony.
Just replicate from 9.1 as master to 9.2 as a slave.  Once they are
fully in sync, promote 9.2 to master.

Note that you will have to restart postgres at least once to move the
9.2 port to the same as the 9.1 port when you switch.  SO it won't be
zero down time, but pretty darn close.

    - Chris