Making submitting a patch FAQ (was Re: [HACKERS] request a new feature in fuzzystrmatch) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Making submitting a patch FAQ (was Re: [HACKERS] request a new feature in fuzzystrmatch)
Date
List pgsql-www
On 06/14/2013 10:17 AM, David Fetter wrote:

>> This sounds like a wiki page FAQ in the making.
>
> With utmost respect, this sounds like several pages should be
> consolidated into one and clarified.  Yet another page will just make
> matters more confusing.

Probably. I just tried to objectively review what it would take to
submit a patch. It is a little spaghetti. From the website I click
developers->coding. That seems straight forward enough. The developers
FAQ is the 7th link down after flooding me with information on the
source code. So the first suggestion would be to push the FAQ to the
very first link. That is a relatively simple fix.

However, then it gets messy. Basically, I think we are too thorough. If
I want to submit a simple patch to fix error strings, I certainly don't
need everything that is presented in our developers faq. I need:

1. Where do I get a git checkout (forget this download the source from
ftp, that I think is inviting problems.)

2. Exactly what do I need to do to submit a patch.

That is all. In order to get that information I have to wade through a
whole lot more information that isn't immediately useful or interesting.

So something like, submitting a patch in 10 steps.

Sincerely,

JD