Re: Opening a SQL File Does Not Open PGAdmin - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Opening a SQL File Does Not Open PGAdmin
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 2013.06.14 10:05 AM, Alex Mast wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to help someone who is running PGAdmin 1.16 on Windows 7, SP1. It's
> not urgent at all. When he opens up any .sql file, this is what he gets:
>
> On other computers, opening a .sql file doesn't open this window, it opens
> PGAdmin. Even after he clicks okay from this message, PGadmin does not open. I
> checked the file associations, and .sql is set to open with "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/9.2/bin///postgres.exe", which I assume is right as this is
> what the PGAdmin shortcut points to.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex Mast

What you're talking about is an operating system feature.  You tell Windows
somehow that when you click on a file with particular attributes, eg a .sql
name, you want PGAdmin to open it, and not say your favorite text editor (which
is normally what I'd want).  Its the same on the Mac.  If several programs are
capable of opening a particular file, its not like the operating system can read
your mind as to which one you want to use, you have to tell it, otherwise it
will just pick any one of them (which sometimes is okay). -- Darren Duncan