Re: High concurrency OLTP database performance tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Casey Duncan
Subject Re: High concurrency OLTP database performance tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
It will be very important to determine if as performance degrades you
are either i/o bound, cpu bound or hindered by some other contention
(db locks, context switching, etc).

Try turning on statement duration logging for all statments or "slow"
statments (like those over 100ms or some arbitrary threshold). Either
eyeball or write a script to see which statement(s) are frequently
slowest. This can greatly aid in tuning.

You say the db is write intensive. In what way, inserts or updates?
The former tend to be much cheaper than the latter. If the latter are
things being adequately vacuumed? loss of dead tuple space can really
hurt performance. If you have lots of concurrent writes, commit_delay/
commit_siblings can help, as can increasing checkpoint_segments
further. I see you have fsync off, are you feeling lucky? ;^)

If you are i/o bound see what the disks are doing. How fast are they
reading/writing? How close are they to their max throughput?
Typically I find the disks are nowhere near that due to excessive
seeking. If that's the case you can typically only fix it by putting
more of the DB in RAM -- buy more RAM, crank up shared_buffers I
would say double what you have it, maybe more (much more with 8.1),
or by arranging the data better on disk (clustering, denormalizing
data, putting tables and indices on different disks, etc).

-Casey