Re: Style issues for conventions page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Style issues for conventions page
Date
List pgsql-www
On 5/21/13 9:18 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
> A documentation comment came in that highlights a weird situation with
> the web version of the documentation.  Check out
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/notation.html for a
> moment.  In the PDF documentation, this example looks just like it reads.
>
> There are a few problems with the web version though:
>
> -The word italics in "emphasized in italics" is actually bold.  The
> source code for that is <emphasis>italics</>.
>
> -"emphasized in bold face (example)" shows an example that is neither
> bold or italics.  Source for that one is (<emphasis
> role="bold"><literal>example</></>)
>
> I don't know that anything in the source needs to change, but something
> in the HTML generation pipeline seems off here.

This comes out "correctly" if you use the non-website stylesheets, but
the website has adopted different format conventions.  It would probably
be best if we removed the first paragraph in the Conventions section,
because the potential for confusion in a CSS-like world is too big.