Re: ODBC constructs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: ODBC constructs
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/21/2013 1:11 AM, Dev Kumkar wrote:

> Thanks for the comments. Yes objective is to work in C and found libpq
> useful but am not sure about psqlODBC.
> It would be really great to get comments from community here regarding
> comparison between both of them and also performance perspective. Based
> on my reading so far libpq is good from performance perspective.

One advantage of an abstraction layer is that it allows you to switch
the underlying DBMS with few if any changes to your code.  ODBC is just
one of many available abstraction layers.  So, one thing to consider is
if your application is intended to be at all generic, or if it is
specifically targeted to PostgreSQL.  If the former, then you should
consider an abstraction layer; if not, then libpq is fine.

Another determinant for many people is what they already know.  If I'm
doing a quick, one-time app and I know ODBC but I don't know libpq, I
might choose to just stick with what I know and use ODBC.

So, really, the first decision you should make is how general you want
your app to be, and how long you expect to use it.  Other decisions flow
from there.

--
Guy Rouillier