Re: postgres_fdw foreign tables and serial columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: postgres_fdw foreign tables and serial columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/15/2013 10:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> You can certainly argue that it might be silly to have a local sequence
> generating the default value for insertions into a remote table; but
> on the other hand, it might not be silly, depending on usage scenario.
> I don't think the database should be enforcing a policy choice like
> that.

Presumably if it's not appropriate they won't define it as a serial
column. If Postgres is the primary source of the data rather than the
foreign handler then it makes plenty of sense to have a serial column, I
should think.

So +1 for allowing it.

cheers

andrew