Re: improving PL/Python builds on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: improving PL/Python builds on OS X
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/9/13 10:52 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 5/9/13 3:09 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>> I assume you'll fix the configure script so it actually errors out if
>>> plpython cannot be built, but is explicitly requested?
>>
>> That is ancient behavior, which I'm not fond of, but now is not the time
>> to change that.
>
> Eh? Beta is precisely the time to find and fix bugs like this.

It's not a bug, it's working as designed (not by me).

It's certainly worth reexamining, but there are so many variations in
this area (and Perl and Tcl are set up the same way) that I don't want
to mess around in it now.

A better approach for now would be to look for a configuration item in
Python that tells us whether libpython contains PIC.