Re: 9.3 release notes suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: 9.3 release notes suggestions
Date
Re: 9.3 release notes suggestions  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/05/2013 01:35 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> OK, so we can either use 4 hex digits minimum and have a fixed with on
>> most platforms, extend it to 8 hex digits, or revert the entire
>> fixed-width idea.
> I think we should lose the idea that it's fixed-width.  16-bit PIDs are
> a limitation whose days are obviously numbered.

I'm late to this party - I must have been asleep at the wheel back in
October, but I guess I have an interest as the original author of
log_line_prefix ;-)

I can't off the top of my head see any good reason for zero padding, so
I'm with Tom.

cheers

andrew