Re: Documentation epub format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Documentation epub format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/3/13 2:05 AM, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> EPUB is essentially a zip file with per-section simplified HTML files.
>> So any device that can render simple web pages should be able to handle
>> that with ease.  What I think iBooks is doing is it internally
>> pre-renders all the pages in order to be able to attach page numbers to
>> all the table of contents entries.  I suspect other readers that don't
>> do that will be able to handle this better.
>
> Indeed, iBooks computes page numbers, which mean processing the whole
> contents.

After trying out a few different EPUB readers on iOS (iPhone), I think
this is simply a quality-of-implementation issue with iBooks.  For
example, NeoSoar's reader is much more responsive with the same file on
the same hardware.  Its page counting is much more nonsensical, but that
just seems to support my earlier theory.