Re: high io BUT huge amount of free memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: high io BUT huge amount of free memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/02/2013 12:04 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> There is a good, but sad, reason for this: IBM and Oracle and their
> partners are the largest employers of people hacking on core Linux
> memory/IO functionality, and both of those companies use DirectIO
> extensively in their products.

I never thought of that. Somehow I figured all the Redhat engineers
would somehow counterbalance that kind of influence.

But that brings up an interesting question. How hard / feasible would it
be to add DIO functionality to PG itself? I've already heard chatter
(Robert Haas?) about converting the shared memory allocation to an
anonymous block, so could we simultaneously open up a DMA relationship?

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870