Re: BUG #8125: server connecting error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #8125: server connecting error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 4/29/2013 12:02 AM, pradip29@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      8125
> Logged by:          Pradip Patel
> Email address:pradip29@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.0
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> i have a backup of only the "data" folder of postgres and my serer was
> crashed  now i m trying to install thesame version of postgres and restore
> that file but after that i m unable to connect with postgres server
>
> that showing me the following error
>
> ""could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the
> server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
> 5432? ""

this is not a bug, and shouldn't be on the bug list.   would best to
bring this to the pgsql-general email list.

at a minimum, after installing the new postgres software, you'd have to
STOP postgres, THEN restore your data directory, then restart postgres.
if it doesn't restart, then check the logfiles and/or event viewer to
see why.

if postgres was running when you made your data backup, odds are pretty
good that backup is no good, unless you used backup software that used
Windows Volume Snapshot Service (VSS).