Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tony
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general
> Adding a second CPU to a machine you're building yourself costs a
> (relatively) very small amount of money, but nearly doubles the capacity
> of the machine, and greatly extends it's useful lifetime.  I think that
> the benefits far outweigh the cost - adding a second CPU may add 20% (or
> less) to the cost of the machine, but get you an 80% increase in capacity.

I agree 100% on this. I have a bi-Celeron 500 at one of my clients and it is a very fast machine when compared to my
singleAthlon 800. Everything just seems so much more snappy.

SCSI 160 and software RAID  with two mirrored drives and only 256 Mb RAM.

I would now go for 3 drives in RAID 5 and 1 Gb RAM. Building a machine like this yourself is a lot cheaper than buying.
Iusually charge a days labor for building the box and software installation and take a 40% margin on the hardware and
amstill cheaper than any equivalent quality machine.

When you build yourself you do have a tendancy to use the best components money can buy. Unlike certain "name brands"
thatI won't name here but which I have oppened to look inside.

If I had to buy a machine I would buy IBM.

Cheers

Tony

--
tony@animaproductions.com

JWebMail WebMail/Java v0.7.6 WWW to Mail Gateway